I’m going ‘zero waste’ for the week. And this is my story.
Day 1 Tasks:
- Emptied our garbage can and whipped out an old Whole Foods bag to use for freezer composting.
- Went Grocery shopping (with a canvas bag) and made a few meals from scratch to take as leftovers for lunch at work.
- I picked up vegetables and fruits (package free, cheap, and easy to prepare.) I had pastas and rice at home in packaging and have a CSA drop-off of produce midweek so it wasn’t stressful. I bought chicken sausage in plastic and for that I am ashamed.
- Swore off random CVS stuff for the week or junk food.
- Washed/laundered our dish rags so we didn’t have to buy paper towels.
- Whipped out my travel mug and made coffee ahead of class.
Tip: Because I usually eat a variation of pasta or rice and vegetables, I make the rice and pasta in a big batch at the beginning of the week. Somehow this saves time. Don’t question the #MealPrep life.
Tip: Started carrying the same backpack to class everyday that is stocked with a bottle, utensils, and a tea towel. I usually bring a tote or bag depending on my load but I forget things that way.
What I had at home (I have uglier versions)
- Craving food in packaging
- Forgetting a jar to compost on-the-go with
- Finding what I want in bulk
- Printing for class