….Because you probably know less than you think.
You moved off-campus, GOODBYE SINGLE STREAM! Hello quirky apartment recycling system.
The TWO categories:
- Paper and Cardboard
- Glass, Plastics, Metal, Cartons (milk, soup)
What still applies:
- Clean, rinse all items (no wine in the bottom of the bottle)
- Paper, cardboard must be dry (peel off the pizza grease stains)
- Take the caps off bottles, take corks out
- Place in bin or designated area labeled “Mixed Paper”
- Flatten boxes
- Keep a separate bin for recycling
Check here for more information.
NYC only recycles about 15% of the waste collected by the Sanitation Department, primarily from residences, down from a peak of 23% in 2001. (NYTimes)
NYC produces more than 14 million tons of waste a year.